Saturday, July 20, 2024

Bookgasm returns - yes, I have a "problem"


 Once upon a time the milk crates in the photo were my book cases. Some of them. At my worst I had more than a dozen such plastic cubes before we were able to get wooden book shelves. 

There's a video I have watched a number of times and it has to do with two people who meet at a wedding reception but they are way off the outside of the entire affair and they strike up a conversation - it's about 20 minutes long and I find it sweet but that's not the point - early on the woman talks about how she has drained the battery in her phone because she kept checking it, basically to not be bored with her surroundings, and she then admits "I have a problem" and the way she says it just strikes me as both humorous and truthful. 

So, yeah, I have a problem. I have BOOKGASMS each and every time I go into a library or a bookstore or a flea market or a thrift store or a little (free) library. Anywhere there are books to be surveyed, I can be found surveying them. 

I live in an unopened book store. I don't think my wife would argue with this assessment although she would also say she never agreed to do so - so, I have some issues to deal with. And several years ago I abandoned this blog to focus on my chapbook blog but I am back because I am going to use this blog as therapy. To ween myself, and/or prepare myself to open an actual (someplace other than where I live) bookstore since I have been collecting for decades and can never read them all. Not in this lifetime or the next. 

In fact, I have to say, I have been gathering these books for the purpose of dispensing with them one day. They struck my eye or they were signed by author or they were important books by neglected authors who critics love but readers are not clued in on. Books for folks NOT the general public. And "I have a problem". I can't say no to these misfits, these orphans. 

 "It strange what happens with old books? They choose you. They reach out to their buyers – Hello, here I am, take me with you. It’s as if they were alive.” From The Nautical Chart by Arturo Perez-Reverte Page 53

Once I post this I am going to go back to re-read this blog in its entirety to capture the aroma of my original intent. And then, I will proceed. 



No comments: